Title: The Bell Jar
Authors: Sylvia Plath
Genre: Literary Fiction | Classics
Setting: Boston, Massachusetts and New York (USA)
Publisher: Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2006)
Continue reading →
The Memory Keeper’s Daughter
Author: Kim Edwards
Kentucky Literary Award for Fiction in 2005 | Honored with the Sainsbury’s Popular Fiction Award at the 2008 British Book Awards | 2006 Book of the Year by USA Today
Continue reading →
This is NOT the book cover. Made with Percolator and Phoster Apps.
Author: Lois Lowry
Winner of the Regina Medal (1994) | Winner of the Newbery Medal (1994) | Winner of the William Allen White Award (1996)
———- Continue reading →
Update (as of March 11, 2014) : 9 out of 12 books completed
2013 was a good reading year for me. I’ve read more books than what I challenged myself with and I discovered new authors. It’s now December and while I’m not going to write my top ten book for this year yet, I went around looking for some challenges I can commit to (hopefully) this 2014. I do not want to join many challenges as I also want to ‘impose’ a few personal reading challenges for myself too.
I am joining the TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Roof Beam Reader this year. The idea is to list 12 books you want to read for the year, plus two alternatives in case you want to throw out a book in the middle of reading. The books must have been in your to-be-read list for at least a year (books published from January 2013 onwards are not eligible, sorry). I have the tendency to buy books and plop them into my bookshelf never to be touched again so this is a good challenge for me. Que horror! While I have some books in my Kindle which suffered the same fate as the books I bought, I’m going to stick with what we people like to call “physical books” for this challenge.
Here’s my list:
2014 TBR Pile Challenge
- The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini (2003) – Review coming soon
- Memoirs of a Geisha, Arthur Golden (1997)
- The Memory Keeper’s Daughter, Kim Edwards (2006) – Read my review
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer (2008) – Review coming soon
- The Giver, Lois Lowry (1993) – Read my review
- The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath (1963) – Review coming soon
- Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson (1999) – Review coming soon
- It’s Kind of a Funny Story, Ned Vizzini (2006)
- Girl, Interrupted, Susanna Kaysen (1993) – Review coming soon
- The Handmaid’s Tale, Margaret Atwood (1985) – Review coming soon
- Enduring Love, Ian McEwan (2004) – Read my review
- The Time Traveler’s Wife, Audrey Niffenegger (2003) — I wasn’t able to finish this :( The beginning part got me so bored I gave up on it.
- Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafón (1950)
- In Cold Blood, Truman Capote (1965) — This will replace #12.
I do hope I’ll complete this challenge and read more books next year. It would be great to see your TBR Pile Challenge for 2014. Leave me a comment with a link to your list so I can check it out :)
Update: Scroll brush used in layout: by Lileya at DeviantArt